Saturday, May 7, 2011

A Spooky Coincidence

I`ve been sorting through my British infantry figures trying to decide which ones to use to draw up a full 24-figure unit. I own about 30 or so suitable figures assembled from diverse sources over the final few days but not plenty of any one case to be capable to form a whole in identical poses. On the positive side though this way I get to put together a whole with only about every 1812-15 British infantry line infantry figure type in the Hinton Hunt range represented.


In with the even line types I too induce a single fusilier sergeant figure sporting a nice furry bearskin. It`s a very lovely crisp vintage casting of BN/71 and I felt compelled to include him in the ranks, as he is the only fusilier in my whole collection. This caused me a bit of a job because one odd fusilier with the wrong headgear for 1815 would be a bit odd (even though this figure is not an historic one so to speak). Then I hit on a brainwave - make the solid unit one of fusiliers that now wore the regular shako and add this lone figure in as an "old sergeant" who refused to hold up his old hat!

So next I had to search through my copy of Wellingtons Regiments to see a whole to fit the card and settled on the 23rd Royal Welch Fusiliers. This seemed like a serious choice because between them the 1st & 2nd battalions were present throughout the whole Peninsula War (even fighting at Corunna) as easily as at Waterloo, albeit in a reserve capacity. Then the spooky thing happened, as I started to form through the figures prior to their bleach dunking, I noticed that the regimental flag painted by the former owner had the act "23" painted on it!

I`m now in the procedure of preparing and undercoating the figures ready to direct them off to Matt who has kindly agreed to make his deception with his paintbrushes.

I upgraded my browser to IE9 a pair of years ago only to see that I can no longer publish my Blog posts! Finally establish a way to fix it - go "Tools" in the browser bar then "Compatibility View Settings" then add "blogger.com".

No comments:

Post a Comment